Our JIRA instance is hosted at https://webapps.es.vt.edu/jira
The following fields are required:
- Summary - be as specific as you can in one sentence.
- Priority - Blocker indicates an issue must be included in the fixVersion. All other priorities can be moved to later releases, but do inform the order in which we get tasks done.
- Fix Version - the next version, the next next version, or FUTURE. Lead will alter as necessary.
- Description - write a complete summary of the issue that can be used to inform and further discussion.
The following fields are optional:
- Components - set if you know; otherwise lead will set this as necessary.
- Affects Version - set if you know; lead may set this.
- Original Estimate - set if you can provide a reasonable estimate of effort; lead may set this.
The following fields should be left emtpy:
- Due Date - lead will set this as necessary.
Working on Issues
When you are assigned an issue your first task is to provide an estimate on how much work is required to complete the issue. Click the ‘Edit’ button and find the ‘Original Estimate’ field below the description. Make your best guess.
When you begin click ‘Start Progress’. As you progress in your task provide comments that will give us a useful historical record of the issue. If we look at this a year from now, will we understand what the problem was and how it was fixed?
Every issue that results in code changes must produce a new branch in git. Once your branch has been pushed to git, create a merge request and assign that request to the project lead. Add a comment on the issue that includes a link to your merge request. You should not ‘Stop Progress’ on the issue because we want to see the issue in progess on the Kanban board.
Once your merge request has been merged, return to the issue and click ‘Resolve Issue’. Provide any additional comments related to the merging process and make sure the work log is accurate.
Once your issue is resolved, a technical lead will determine whether the changes require testing. Some changes are straight forward or insignificant and do not require further action. If testing is deemed necessary the issue will be reassigned appropriately. If the technical lead believes that regression tests should be created or updated, the issue will be sent to IMCS for review.
The issue comment should be updated as to whether testing was done and the results of those tests.
Issues should be closed by the individual who performs the testing. If no testing is necessary, the technial lead will close the issue.